- Please leave messages for me at the end of this page
hello, nice idea Telemediziner 17:44, 26 April 2009 (UTC)This link brings you to a very useful Google Map that lets one visualize the H1N1 outbreak.
Main page Edit
- I guess admin tools wouldn't hurt, though I can pretty much guarantee you after a while i'll move on (or back to) other projects. I'm just another pajamas-editor who likes to make things look "neat" (to use your own words). Oset•c 23:25, 26 April 2009 (UTC)
- Sounds great, and thanks for your help. If this story turns out to be nothing, this wiki will die down pretty quickly I'm guessing - but if it is big, there might be a lot of traffic and we might be able to do something people find useful in some way. :-)----Jimbo Wales 23:28, 26 April 2009 (UTC)
- It looks like the manual (which does look good!) originates here: http://instedd.org/files/InSTEDD%20Influenza%20Manual%20v1-5.pdf .----Jimbo Wales 14:16, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
- Added to Preparedness_and_Prevention
RichardRothwell 14:43, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
Thanks very much for setting this up, it provides a great opportunity to do something constructive in an anxiety-provoking situation.
"Anonymous IP" notwithstanding, I am registered user Kathleen Seidel; my connection is such that I am unable to maintain my login without a secure connection. Can you tell whether and how I might be able to sign on securely?
You may be interested to know that last year, in a pleading filed in the U.S. Court for the District of New Hampshire, my husband Dave Seidel was accused of having "seized control of Wikipedia" (see http://neurodiversity.com/weblog/article/157/ for details). --220.127.116.11 22:59, 28 April 2009 (UTC)
- I can't help in any direct way, Kathleen, but I'm going to see if I can attract staff attention. — Robin Patterson (Talk) 06:19, 1 May 2009 (UTC)
- I heard back yesterday afternoon from Uberfuzzy, who confirmed that there's no way to log in securely, and offered a very clear explanation of the reason why. It's a known issue of long standing. Eyvallah! KathleenSeidel, aka --18.104.22.168 11:24, 1 May 2009 (UTC)
The site is developing well, but I'm finding quite a bit of vandalism. Is there a reasonable way for me to be able to block the IP addresses from which this emanates? RichardRothwell 22:42, 30 April 2009 (UTC)
- Yes, absolutely. I believe all the IP addresses involved in vandalism so far have been blocked fairly promptly - a total of 7 so far (4 from today). In terms of performing a block, only Sysops (administrators) have this facility. As for gaining those permissions yourself, only Jimbo can currently promote users. In the meantime, just leave a message for one of the other sysops (Jimbo, Gboyers, Ose, Robin), or if more urgent some wikia staff (eg Uberfuzzy or Kirkburn), and we'll take action ASAP. Gboyers talk 01:09, 1 May 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks for the shift to sysop - I've not managed in a large public wiki before, but do it in those configured more as content management systems. I will tread gently and seek advice if necessary. RichardRothwell 06:54, 1 May 2009 (UTC)
Request for desysoping Edit
I feel that I do not need sysop tools, as I am in no way particularily involved in the wiki any more. I am available both through my talk page and IRC, so if anyone wishes to consult me about anything I am of course willing to help. I have always been a WikiGnome/Elf, and I prefer working in the background with css, templates and other projects. Research and article writing isn't really my thing. And since this wiki seems to be doing fine without fancy templates and css stuffs, I do not need these tools on this wiki. Oset•c 22:02, 13 May 2009 (UTC)
Request for sysoping Edit
Please see Project:Requests for adminship. You're our only bureaucrat. Kathleen has enough technological handicaps; sysopship could ease her workload a bit. — Robin Patterson (Talk) 06:06, 15 May 2009 (UTC)
New virus from Wuhan Edit
Has Wikia/FANDOM started a wiki like this one to deal with the latest world health emergency?
Maybe this one could be adapted and expanded to cover that? Maybe worldhealth.wikia.org?